One of the most gorgeous cakes I've ever made! Recipe from my friend China Squirrel!
Get tons of inspiration in Sweet Paul Magazine:
2 small blood oranges
2⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1⁄4 teaspoon salt
5 ounces unsalted butter
1⁄2 cup superfine granulated sugar
1 cup almond meal (ground almonds)
1⁄3 cup fresh blood orange juice
FOR THE SYRUP:
1 cup fresh blood orange juice
2 tablespoons superfine granulated sugar
powdered sugar, sifted (for serving)
- Prepare a 9-inch round cake pan with shortening or butter and line with parchment paper. Preheat oven to350oF.
- Peel blood oranges. Then, using a small, sharp knife, remove all the pith. Cut oranges crosswise into 1⁄8 -inch thick slices. Arrange in the bottom of the prepared cake pan.
- Sift flour and baking powder together. Add salt and set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar together until light and creamy, about 5 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time.
- Mix in almond meal. Stir in a little of the flour mixture, then add juice and remaining flour mixture.
- Carefully spoon cake batter over the orange slices, and spread evenly using a wet spoon.
- Bake for 35–40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Remove from oven, and allow cake to stand in pan for 10 minutes.
- Place juice and sugar into a small saucepan. Stir over a medium heat until sugar dissolves.
- Turn cake onto serving plate. Drizzle with warm syrup. Dust with powdered sugar just before serving.
Made it? Tell us about it–