Mozzarella stick meets mac & cheese. Are you drooling yet?
This recipe is from my Summer 2015 issue!
serves 4 as a snack or side
You will need:
5 oz macaroni
3 oz butter
1⁄3 cup all purpose flour
11⁄2 cups milk
3 oz Gruyere cheese, grated
4 oz sharp cheddar cheese, grated
2 oz Parmesan cheese, grated
pinch of cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
sea salt and black pepper, to taste
2 eggs, beaten
2 tablespoons milk
3 cups panko breadcrumbs
vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- Grease and line a 12” x 8” baking tin or similar size tin with parchment paper.
- Cook macaroni in a saucepan of boiled salted water and drain.
- Melt butter in a saucepan, add flour, and cook, stirring for 1 minute or until mixture bubbles.
- Remove from heat and gradually add milk, stirring until smooth.
- Cook, stirring often, over a medium heat until sauce boils and thickens.
- Add cheeses, cayenne, mustard, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Reduce heat and cook a further 3 minutes.
- Add macaroni and mix until well combined.
- Spoon into prepared tin. Use the back of a spoon to evenly smooth top.
- Allow to cool completely, then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate over night.
- Remove the slab of macaroni cheese onto a chopping board. Cut into sticks of varying sizes, about 2”–3” long and 1⁄2” thick.
- Place sticks onto a tray covered in parchment paper and freeze for 30 minutes or until firm to touch.
- Combine eggs and milk in a bowl and place breadcrumbs onto a plate or tray.
- Working in batches, dip sticks in egg mix, then toss in breadcrumbs until well coated.
- Place onto a tray and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a deep fryer or heavy based medium saucepan to 350°F.
- Working in batches, deep fry sticks until just golden. This will take about 1 minute.
- Drain on paper towel.
- Serve immediately with homemade ketchup and sea salt.
Made it? Tell us about it–