This delicious pie is super easy to make and is a great idea for a quick dessert. The recipe makes use of dulce de leche, a store bought, ready-made caramel. We suggest buying a good quality dulce de leche, available from gourmet shops.
You will need:
11⁄2 cups all purpose flour, sifted
1⁄2 cup confectioners’ sugar, sifted
4 oz unsalted butter, chilled and chopped
2 egg yolks
2 tablespoon ice water
4 egg whites
1 cup super fine sugar
14 oz store bought dulce de leche
- To make the pastry, place the flour, confectioners’ sugar and butter in a food processor and process until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- With the motor running, add the egg yolks and iced water and process until the dough just comes together.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and gently bring together to form a ball.
- Flatten into a disc, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Roll the pastry out between 2 sheets of non-stick baking paper to 1⁄4” thick.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Line a 9” pie tin with pastry, pinching the edges or pressing with a fork.
- Refrigerate for 15 minutes or until firm.
- Blind bake pastry case; line the pastry case with non-stick baking paper and fill with uncooked rice or baking weights.
- Bake for 15 minutes, remove the paper and weights, and bake for a further 15–20 minutes or until the pastry is light golden.
- Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Spoon the dulce de leche into the base of the cooled pastry case.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place egg whites in a clean, dry bowl and beat with an electric mixer until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add the sugar, 1 tablespoonful at a time until the mixture is thick and glossy.
- Spoon meringue over the caramel, spreading it to the edge of the pastry case.
- Use the back of a spoon to create peaks in meringue.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the meringue is light golden.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool then refrigerate for 1–2 hours before serving.
Made it? Tell us about it–