A simple and delicious tart created from crisp puff pastry and sweet potato slices smothered in a warm caramel sauce.
10”x10” good quality sheet of puff pastry
14 oz sweet potatoes
1⁄2 cup superfine sugar
3 tablespoons water
1 oz butter, chopped
1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
pinch of ground nutmeg
pinch of ground cinnamon
ice cream, for serving
- Lightly grease a 9” shallow pie tin.
- Place pastry onto work surface then place pie tin onto pastry.
- Use a sharp knife to trace around tin edge to form a circle of pastry, discarding pastry trimmings.
- Place pastry circle onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and refrigerate until needed.
- Preheat oven to 375oF.
- Peel sweet potatoes, thinly slice using a mandolin, cover, and set aside.
- Place sugar and water into a saucepan, stir to mix.
- Place over a low heat and cook, stirring constantly, until sugar completely melts.
- Increase the heat to medium and cook, without stirring, until sugar syrup caramelizes and is light golden in color.
- Remove from heat; gradually stir in chopped butter, mixing well until combined.
- Add vanilla, nutmeg, and cinnamon and mix well.
- Working quickly, pour caramel into the base of prepared pie tin and spread to coat the base of the tin.
- Cover caramel with sweet potatoes slices, starting in the center and overlapping in spiraling circle.
- Top with pastry round, tucking the edges of the pastry down.
- Use a sharp knife to make a few slits in the top of the pastry then bake in preheated oven for 40–45 minutes or until pastry is golden and puffed.
- Remove from oven and allow tart to stand 10 minutes before inverting tart onto a serving plate.
- Slice into wedges and serve warm with ice cream.
Made it? Tell us about it–