These cute little cakes are rich and moist and very easy to make.
2 small cakes
For the Cake:
1 cup super fine sugar
1⁄2 cup canola oil
1⁄2 cup cold mashed potato
1 cup plain flour
1⁄3 cup unsweetened good quality cocoa powder
1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
pinch of salt
1⁄2 cup buttermilk
2 chocolate bows
For the Chocolate Ganache:
8 oz good quality dark chocolate, chopped
6 oz cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease parchment paper-lined 2 4”x3”deep round cake tins.
- Place sugar, oil, and eggs in a medium mixing bowl.
- Use a whisk to combine well.
- Add potato and whisk until smooth.
- Sift flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a separate bowl. Alternately add dry ingredients with buttermilk to egg mixture, finishing with dry ingredients.
- Mix until a smooth batter.
- Spoon into prepared tins.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center of cakes comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow cakes to cool in tins.
- Remove from tins and place onto a wire rack.
- Use a serrated knife to carefully cut each cake in half horizontally.
- Spread half of each cake with a little chocolate ganache and then sandwich together.
- Refrigerate cakes for 15 minutes.
- Spread remaining ganache over both cakes.
- Top each cake with a chocolate bow.
- For ganache, place chocolate and cream into a heatproof bowl, place bowl over a half filled saucepan of simmering water.
- Stir until chocolate melts.
- Remove from heat and stir until smooth.
- Allow to cool at room temperature, stirring occasionally until ganache is thick and spreadable.
Made it? Tell us about it–