Shake up the freshest butter in minutes using just two ingredients and a plain mason jar! If you want to store the butter, you should massage it under cold water to get all of the buttermilk out of it. It never lasts long in my house, but it should keep for a couple of days in the fridge.
You will need:
a mason jar
- Fill your jar half way with heavy cream and seal it with the lid and screw-ring.
- Begin shaking the jar from top to bottom for about 6-8 minutes. First it will get quiet, then it will begin to thump and slosh.
- Shake for :30-1 minute more. Now you have BUTTER and some buttermilk too.
- Open jar and sprinkle in salt to taste. Seal the jar again and shake a little bit to mix in the salt.
- Scoop butter out onto a plate and you're ready to enjoy!
- I like the little amount of watery buttermilk that's on the plate with your butter, but if you'd rather not have it, simply form the butter into a ball and massage and compress it with your hands under cold running water.
Made it? Tell us about it–