My mom tells me she woke up at 7am by this song playing over and over. She found me in the kitchen with more flour on me then in the bowl. We did bake gingerbread later that day, after a bath. This recipe is the same one my grandmother used. Hope you like it!
Makes about 100 cookies
2 1/4(250g) sticks butter
3/4 cup dark molasses
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon cardemom
1 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon cloves
3/4 cup water
5 cups plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
- Place butter and molasses in a saucepan and stir until the butter has melted.
- Have sugar and spices in a large baking bowl and pour in the hot butter mixture.
- Stir until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add water and stir well.
- Stir in the flour and baking powder.
- Stir until you have a soft dough.
- Wrap in plastic at let the dough stand in the fridge at least 24 hours.
- Can be stored in the fridge for 14 days.
- Take it out and roll thin.
- Cut out stars, hearts or whatever you want to make and bake at 320F, 180C for about 5-6 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- Store in an airtight container.
Made it? Tell us about it–