Such a stunning cake!
4 eggs, at room temperature
¾ cup sugar
1 cup ground almonds
4 tablespoons potato flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla sugar
¾ cup whipping cream
¾ cup raspberry jam
6 oz marzipan or fondant icing (that can be rolled and cut)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Beat the eggs and sugar together until they are pale and frothy.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, and vanilla sugar.
- Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture.
- Line an oven sheet with baking parchment and pour the batter into it.
- Bake on the middle oven rack for around 6–7 minutes, or until the batter turns a bit golden.
- The batter burns quite easily on the bottom, so keep and eye on it and don’t overbake it.
- Spread a large piece of baking parchment (at least as large as the cake base itself) over a work surface and sprinkle it with sugar.
- Carefully place the cake base on the sugared parchment, with the topside down. Wait a moment and then carefully peel off the parchment that was in the oven.
- Make the filling by whipping the cream into soft peaks.
- If you like very sweet pastries, then add a couple of spoonfuls of sugar to the cream.
- Spread the raspberry jam evenly over the cooled cake base.
- Spoon half the whipped cream over the jam. Then roll up the cake into a log and spread the rest of the whipped cream over the roll.
- Place the marzipan or fondant icing between 2 sheets of cling film and roll it into a thin sheet with a rolling pin. Using the rolling pin, carefully lift the sheet over the Swiss roll and firmly press it into the roll and tuck it under.
- Use the macarons to decorate the roll.
Made it? Tell us about it–