Roasting a chicken is so easy and fast and the result is always delicious!
You will need:
10 oz small potatoes
6 shallots, peeled and halved
2 large carrots, sliced
1 whole head of garlic, cut in half
1 large organic chicken
1 lemon, cut in half
1/2 cup apricot preserves
1/3 cup olive oil
salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Place all your potatoes in a large oven proof casserole, if they are on the bigger side cut them in half.
- Top with shallots, carrots and garlic
- Lift the skin above the breast to make a pocket, do it gently to not to make any holes.
- Spread apricot preserves under the skin using your fingers.
- Fill the cavity of the chicken with the lemon and place in the dutch oven.
- Pour the olive oil on top of the bird and season with salt, pepper and thyme.
- Place in the oven and roast the chicken for about 1 hour. (If the skin gets too dark simply dover with foil or place the lid on the casserole.)
- Test the chicken after 1 hour by inserting a sharp knife in the breast, if the liquid that comes out is clear its done, if its red roast it a bit more. You can also use a meat thermometer to test for doneness.
- Take your chicken out and cover it with foil or the casserole lid for 10 minutes.
- Cut it in pieces and serve with the potatoes and the juices you find in the bottom.
Made it? Tell us about it–