Every summer when the tomatoes where at it's best my grandmother made us home made tomato soup. It was sweet, creamy and delicious. It always had curry in it. The hot curry brings out the sweetness in the tomatoes even more. Try with a little at first and add more as you go along. You don't want it to be to spicy. If you can't find really ripe sweet tomatoes, cut the ones you have in half and bake them in the oven for 10-12 minutes. That brings out the flavor of even the dullest tomato. Enjoy!
12 plum tomatoes, cut in half
2 carrots, diced
4 garlic cloves
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups chicken stock
1 teaspoon sugar
1-2 teaspoons curry powder, taste as you go
4 roasted chilies
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Place tomatoes cut side down, carrots and garlic on a baking tray and pour over the oil.
- Toss with salt, pepper and curry powder.
- Roast in the oven for about 45 minutes.
- Take it out, let the mixture cool and remove the skin from the tomatoes.
- Place everything in a blender and pure until smooth.
- Pour into a large pot, add stock and sugar and bring to a boil.
- Let the soup simmer for 10 minutes.
Serve with some parmesan shavings and a roasted chili.
Made it? Tell us about it–