In Norway we call this dessert "Peasant Girls Dressed in Veils" - it's so delish!
3 sweet apples
1/4 cup sugar
seeds from 1/4 vanilla bean
1/3 cup spiced rum
1/4 cup water
8 slices good quality white bread
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Peel the apples and cut them into small cubes.
- Place them in a saucepan with sugar, vanilla, rum and water.
- Let me mixture simmer until the apples start to soft and most of the liquid is gone. Cool.
- Place the bread on a baking rack and toast them dry at 300F (160C) until they are completely dried, takes about 30 minutes.
- Break them up and place in a blender. Whizz until broken up but not pulverized, I like some chunky bits in it.
- Melt the butter in a pan and add the bread crumbs, sugar and cinnamon.
- Stir until toasted to golden. Cool.
- To assemble, start with a layer of apples, then cream then bread, layer as many times as you want and finish off with a layer of bread crumbs. Serve cold.
You could use unseasoned storebought breadcrumbs for this recipe.
Made it? Tell us about it–