My grandmother made an amazing roast chicken. This is the simple recipe she taught me.
You will need:
4-5 pound roasting chicken - room temperature - I buy organic
lots of sea salt and fresh ground pepper
1 lemon cut in half
1 head of garlic cut in half
Any root veg you like for the pan
- My grandmother always told me to let the chicken sit in room temperature for at least an hour before roasting.
- Preheat your oven to 470F. She would always start with a dry (meaning not recently washed) room temperature bird.
- Sprinkle large pinches of sea salt inside of the cavity and grind in a lot fo pepper.
- Put half of your lemon and hald of your head of garlic inside the cavity.
- Plug up the cavity with the other half of the lemon. Then simply tie the drumsticks together with a bit of kitchen twine.
- Sprinkle large pinches of sea salt all over the outside of the chicken and then grind a lot of pepper on top.
- Fill your pan with veg, or you can just roast the chicken alone. My grandmother would always put the other half of the head of garlic in the pan to make the whole house smell wonderful while the chicken is roasting.
- Put the chicken into the 475F oven for 20 minutes and then lower the heat to 400F for an additional 45 minutes. My grandmother never measured the temperature of her chickens, but now we know that it should be about 160F to be fully cooked.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and allow to rest in the pan for 15-30 minutes.
- Carve and enjoy!
Made it? Tell us about it–